Today, On The Blog, I am sharing healthy snack ideas along with 15 recipes created by dietitians that are not only delicious but great for blood sugar stability. From energy bites to fruit dips, protein bars to sorbet, I can’t wait for you to try each and every one of these recipes. Let’s dive in!
Can I Snack With Diabetes?
Absolutely (and don’t let anyone tell you differently!). The secret is creating a personalized plan that includes the foods you want to eat while being mindful of the fiber, protein and fat content of the snack. Whether on the search for a sweet or savory snack, the balance of nutrients is important to ensure you are satisfied after snacking without an energy crash.
What Are Healthy Snacks For Diabetes?
When it comes to a healthy snack for individuals with diabetes that balance of fiber, protein and fat is what turns any snack into a healthy choice. Focusing on building a snack with these nutrients will put you in the right direction toward blood sugar stability with the added bonus of feeling full.
Below you will find a list of foods that fit into these three categories to use as a guide as you build snacks. Refer back to this list any time you need!
Dietary fiber will slow digestion to help you feel full and satisfied for longer periods of time while also promoting blood sugar control.
- Seeds such as chia, pumpkin, sunflower or flax
- Nuts such as almonds, pistachios, walnuts or pecans
- Fruits such as pears, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, apples or avocados
- Vegetables such as artichokes, brussels sprouts or kale
Protein will extend the time it takes your body to break down carbohydrates, which can prevent spikes in blood sugars. Learn more about protein.
- Plant based such as beans (black, kidney, chickpea, pinto), lentils, edamame, nuts, tofu
- Fish such as tuna or salmon
- Lean poultry, beef or pork
- Dairy products such as milk, cheese, yogurt
Like protein, fat also extends the time it takes your body to convert carbs into glucose preventing blood sugar spikes. Learn more about fats.
- Olive oil
- Nut butters
- Fatty fish
- Olives (low sodium)
*Consult with your medical profession and Registered Dietitian on how much of each nutrient is the right target for you.
15 Sweet Snack Recipes For Diabetes, From Dietitians
Ready to check out all these delicious yet nutritious sweet snacks? I collaborated with fellow dietitians to bring you this list of our favorite sweet snack recipes for individuals with diabetes.
Enjoy these healthy sweet snacks for after dinner, on-the-go, mid-morning or when you are looking to curb a sweet tooth. All of these recipes include fiber, protein and fat or can easily be paired with the missing nutrient for a balanced snack option.
- Chocolate Almond Butter Protein Balls, Amy Gorin, MS, RDN
- Dragon Fruit Smoothie Bowl, Laurel Ann Deininger, MS, RD, LDN, CDE
- Low Sugar, Low Fat Fruity Fro-Yo Mini Tarts, Colleen Woods, MS, RDN
- Peanut Butter Energy Bites, Brittany Poulson, MDA, RDN, CD, CDE
- Chai Yogurt Fruit Dip, Laurel Ann Deininger, MS, RD, LDN, CDE
- Healthy Banana Cookies Recipe, Elysia, MS, RD
- Chia Collagen Pudding, Laurel Ann Deininger, MS, RD, LDN, CDE
- Lemon Raspberry Protein Popsicles, Tony Amidor, MS, RD
- Homemade Trail Mix Bars, Sarah Schlichter, MPH, RD
- Chocolate Chip Almond Butter Breakfast Bars, Mary Ellen Phipps, MPH, RDN, LD
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Dessert Hummus, Brittany Poulson, MDA, RDN, CD, CDE
- Low Sugar Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites, Mary Ellen Phipps, MPH, RDN, LD
- Chocolate Mousse Filled Strawberries, Lauren Harris-Pincus, MS, RDN
- Kiwi Pineapple Sorbet (only 4 ingredients!), Melissa Altman-Traub, MS, RDN, LDN
- Layered Chocolate Banana Chia Pudding, Allison Herries, MS, RDN
Looking for even more ideas or information on how to enjoy a healthy sweet snack? Comment below so I can best support you!
- Air Fryer Frozen Vegetables
- Type 2 Diabetes Risk Factors: What You Need To Know
- High Blood Sugar? Let’s change that!
- Virtual Nutrition Counseling
- The 25/75 Method
If you are ready to take the leap and transform your health, check out my Resources Page. I can help you grow & flourish with diabetes!
Springtime Nutrition, LLC was founded on my passion to partner with individuals to eliminate the stress, frustration and overwhelm of changing their nutrition lifestyle. I am committed to supporting you at every step of your journey. Ready to transform your life? Get started today!